This time i am sharing with you a very basic version of SAMBAR. This is not only a basic version but simple to prepare. In this basic version we are adding only two veggies to make the dal into simplest form. SAMBAR will have nice sour & sweet taste which is an excellent combination 🙂 . This delicious Sambar will perfectly goes with rice/dosa/idly.
- Toor dal – 80 grams
- Tomato – 1 Medium
- Ginger & garlic – 1 tbsp
- Green/Red Chilies – 6 Big or 4Small
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Tamarind – 2 ½ inch
- Jaggery/Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 medium/ 4 small (onion shallots)
- Lady’s Finger – 3 no
- Salt -1 ½ tbsp – 2tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Coriander leaves
- Jeera, Mustard seeds – 1/4 tbsp each
- Wash & chop the lady’s fingers into 1 ½ inch pieces.
- Wash & pressure cook the dal along with tamarind & lady fingers for 4 whistles.
- Wash & chop the tomato & onion into medium size pieces.
- Wash & slit the green chilies in the middle.
- Heat a kadai, add oil after oil gets heated add mustard seeds & jeera fry few seconds.
- Add curry leaves, ginger & garlic , onion, tomato & salt fry for few seconds.
- Add cooked lady’s finger pieces & tamarind and fry for 2 min.
- Now add jaggery/sugar & water.
- Add dal & chopped coriander leaves after water gets boiled & boil the dal for 7 – 10 min, switch off the flame.
Enjoy this delicious & hot SAMBAR 🙂 with rice/idly/dosa/chaptis.