kanda poha | how to prepare kanda poha recipe (attukulu upma) Rate this post
Kanda poha – one of the popular north indian breakfast recipe. Poha means rice flakes, kanda means onion. Poha in telugu known as attukulu. This is maharashtrian poha recipe. We can prepare so many dishes with poha or attukulu like oats and poha laddu, poha dosa, poha kheer.
In Andhra, we call this kanda poha as attukulu upma. In poha we can add potatoes, capsicum like some veggies to get more taste.
ready to serve
To prepare vegetable poha recipe add more veggies like capsicum, potatoes, carrot. In poha recipe, added only onions.
As we are adding lemon juice in the kanda poha it will digest easily. Added groundnuts and chana dal in the dish, you can add cashew nuts if you desire.
in my childhood, my mom used to prepare attukulu upma in snack time. have poha in breakfast time or snack time. We used to have breakfast like punugulu, dosa, pulihora, rava dosa, carrot dosa, semiya upma, rice flour upma, moongdal upma.
kanda poha ingredients
(1 measuring cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup Poha or pohe or attukulu
- 1 big onion
- 3 green chilies
- 1 tbsp. and little more salt (adjust as per your taste)
- 1/4th of mustard seeds
- ½ tbsp. of cumin seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp. of chana dal
- 3 tbsps of groundnuts or peanuts
- one red chili
- 1/4th of turmeric powder
- one tbsp. Lemon juice (adjust as per your taste)
How to prepare kanda poha
- Wash poha in colander for few seconds gently.
- Now add sprinkle like 4 tbsps of water on poha.
- Mix gently with the spoon.
- Leave for 5 minutes
- chop onions, green chillies into very small fine pieces.
- Break on red chilli into 2 pieces.
- Heat a kadai add oil.
- add mustard seeds.
- fry for few seconds until seeds splutter.
- now Add ½ tbsp. of jeera.
- fry until they get little brown color.
- now keep turmeric powder, groundnuts and chana dal fry for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add green chillies, red chilli, fry for 1 minute.
- now add finely chopped onions, salt and fry for 2 minutes.
maharashtrian poha recipe
- then keep poha and mix nicely.
- Cover with lid and cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Stir in between to avoid sticking it to the pan.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice and mix nicely.
- Now cover with lid.
- Leave poha with lid for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot along with tea for morning breakfast or evening snack time.
attukulu upma recipe
Kanda poha | attukulu upma