IDLY(KUDUMULU) is very healthy breakfast. IDLY(KUDUMULU) is made by urad dal and sooji. We can have this idly with any chutney/sambar/podi. But the excellent combination for Idly is Bombay Chutney.
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Idly sooji – 3 cups
- Salt – 5 tbsp
- Water for soaking
- Oil or ghee for greasing the plate
- Wash and soak the urad dal in water (add water until urad dal is completely immersed) for 3-4 hrs.
- Wash and soak the idly sooji in water (add water until idly sooji is completely immersed) for 2 hrs.
- Now drain the water from the urad dal completely and add this urad dal in to mixy jar or grinder and grind it into fine thick paste (while grinding you can add ½ glass of water)
- Take a bowl add urad dal paste and salt.
- Drain the water from idly sooji completely and take some amount of idly sooji into your hand and squeeze any excess water completely and add into the urad dal bowl.
- Like this squeeze the water completely for the rest of the sooji and add into the urad bowl.
- After adding idly sooji mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Idly batter is ready and ferment the batter for 6 hrs or over night.
- Take a kadai(we can keep unused kadai) add water up to half level of the kadai and keep cooker plate into the kadai.
- Now take a plate & grease oil or ghee on the plate & add the batter up to 1/4th level of the plate.
- Keep this plate over the cooker plate and cover the kadai with lid.
- And cook it for 15 min.
- Check whether idly is cooked or not with the help of toothpick.
- Switch off the flame and cut the idly into pieces with the help of spatula.
Have this nutritious and delicious idly with chutneys like GROUND NUTS CHUTNEY/ALMOND & GROUNDNUT CHUTNEY or podis or BOTTLE GOURD(SORAKKAI) SAMBAR or some rich gravy curries.
- To get soft idlies we have to soak the urad dal & soozi for atleast more than 3 hours.
- The cooking time of the Idly also should be perfect(not more than 15 – 20 min) else idly won’t be soft.
- Both the quantities of urad dal(1 cup) & soozi(3 cups) should be in proper ratio.