bottle gourd sambar or sorakkai sambar is very tasty and healthy sambar. sambar is very famours and essential recipe in south india. we can prepare sambar in so many varieties. bottle gourd is also known as sorakaya, sorakkai, lauki, dudhi.
bottle gourd sambar is very regular at our home. sorakkai sambar will have nice flavor of bottle gourd & drumstick which has an awesome taste. bottle gourd has so many health benefits and it is good for all types of ages like kids and adults. it is very good for health and maintain the blood pressure too. at your home any sugar patients are there then try to include this bottle gourd in some way as it regulates the sugar level. it has more quantity of water and rich in vitamin K and calcium.
bottle gourd sambar is very easy to prepare. We can enjoy this tasty bottle gourd sambar with rice/roti/idly/dosa. other bottle gourd recipes are anapakaya kura, bottle gourd curry, bottle gourd chapati, sorakkai poriyal, sorakkai dosa, bottle gourd gravy.
sorakkai sambar can prepared with masala or without masala. this time i am showing sambar without masala. to make bottle gourd sambar follow the detailed recipe below.
ingredients for bottle gourd sambar or sorakkai sambar
- Toor dal – 80 grams
- Bottle gourd or sorakkai– 4 – 5 inches
- Drumsticks – 1No
- Tomato – 1 Medium
- Green chilies – 5 Big/4 Small (as per your taste)
- Ginger& Garlic – 1 inch & 4 pods
- Jeera, Mustard seeds – 1/4th tbsp
- Tamarind – 2 inches
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp
- Water – 1/2 cup for cooking dal & 3/4th cup for Sambar
- Sugar/Jaggery – 1 tbsp
step by step instructions for bottle gourd sambar
- Wash the toor dal thoroughly under the water for 3 minutes.
- Wash bottle gourd, drumsticks and tomato nicely with water.
- chop the bottle gourd (½ inch), drumsticks (½ inch), & tomato into pieces.
- Pressure cook the dal along with bottle gourd, drumstick and tamarind for 4 whistles or until dal gets smashy.
- Heat a kadai add oil.
- after oil gets heated add jeera, mustard seeds and fry for few seconds.
- Add green chilies fry for 3o seconds.
- ginger and garlic (can add crushed ginger and garlic or paste), tomato pieces and fry for few 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add bottle gourd and drumstick pieces (take from the dal add them without dal) along with salt, tamarind and sugar or jaggery (sugar is optional if you don’t want can skip), fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add dal and mix nicely.
- add water once dal is boiling and stir once.
- Boil the dal for 10 minutes and switch off the flame.
- keep the lid on the dal for 1o minutes and now it is ready to serve.